Pasta e fagioli (Pasta and beans)
Yield: 4 servings
400 g of dried borlotti or cannellini beans
80 g short pasta (maltagliati, ditaloni)
3 tablespoons of tomato pulp
1 garlic clove
extra virgin olive oil
1. If using dried beans, soak them over night. Drain them and cook for about 2 hours in plenty of water.
2. Blend half of the bean portion until creamy, by adding cooking water to adjust the consistency. Keep the rest of the beans apart for later.
3. Chop the parsley together with the garlic (alternatively you can leave the whole garlic and crush it to be able to remove it at the end of cooking) and fry them briefly in a saucepan with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
4. Add the blended beans and 1,5 L of water, the tomato pulp and salt. Let simmer for 30 minutes
5. Add the remaining beans and the pasta and let simmer for 10 minutes more to reach a dense and hearty consistency.
6. Remove from the heat, add salt and pepper.
7. Serve immediately with a round of extra virgin olive oil and Parmigiano Reggiano.